Explore my world of science fact, science fiction, fantasy and whatever else I've dug up along the road of life.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bill Interviews Moon Man 'Buzz' Aldrin

I have finally found a long lost copy of a letter I wrote to friends about my interview with Buzz Aldrin while I was a news reporter for the Springfield Daily News of Springfield, Ohio. There is also a news story about this meeting somewhere else in my files, but this will do for now. I deliberately used science fiction fan lingo in this letter like that used in the 1950s. The photo of Buzz and I hangs on the wall here in my office at home.

I sent copies of this letter to Coulson, Gaines and Tabakow on January 14, 1971 (three Ohio fans of the time):
The Letter
Springfield, Ohio
Thursday

Dear Bob:

It began last Friday night when for some reason or other, I watched “Destination Moon” once again on Channel 10’s Chiller, marvelling at how closely they predicted the actual moon landing. Then all weekend I was consumed with an above normal mania for space flight.

Lightning struck on Wednesday. I was at work and the editor said four astronauts were at nearby Wright-Patterson AFB and were going to hold a press conference. It was then 9:30 a.m. He didn’t know which astronauts – as if that mattered to me!
To my feverish delight, after a quick trip in a press car to the base, I found that Colonel “Buzz” Aldrin was one of the four!

GEE! GOSH! WOW! HOLY ROSCOE!

I was grimly determined I would fiercely elbow TV cameramen and TV newsmen out or the way so that one of the Star begotten could ask A REAL SPACEMAN!!! a few questions and just stand humbly in his presence.
But I didn’t have to shove the TV boys aside. They were a bit awed at having such a super colossal news maker at hand, and almost behaved as if it were possible for them to be timid.

Yessir, I walked right up to THE SECOND MAN EVER TO SET FOOT ON ANOTHER WORLD, the man who was ONE OF THE CREW OF THE FIRST SPACESHIP LAND ON THE MOON, and interviewed him right there on the spot. Buzz and I talked for three or four minutes, I’d judge. For the results, see the enclosed clipping.

I know I asked him more questions and got more answers than appears in the article, but I was so wildly delighted to talk to the MOON MAN I just didn’t get everything written down.  In the flesh, Aldrin had the “look of eagles” of a man that’s been WAY UP THERE.  Our photographer earned my eternal gratitude by snapping a photo of me interviewing “Buzz”

Fannishly yours,

Bill Conner
End of the Letter

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Author of "Iron Age America," a book about the presence of Europeans in North before Columbus "discovered" it. Native of Chillicothe,Ohio. Former newspaper reporter, science columnist, member of the public relations staff of Bell Labs headquaters in New Jersey,and editor of a Washington, D.C. weekly satellite telecommunications newsletter. My profile photo was cropped out of a larger photo that shows me with Stonehenge in the background. I spent a week in England in April 2006 and had a wonderful time there.