Explore my world of science fact, science fiction, fantasy and whatever else I've dug up along the road of life.

Monday, December 1, 2008

Photo: Huge Snake Effigy?


Huge Snake Effigy On Ross-Pickaway County Line
As if the animal effigy in Central Ohio wasn't sensational enough by itself, there is a huge snake effigy just above it! I've been fortunate to have made a number of important archaeological discoveries in the past 18 years, but my discovery of the animal and snake effigies in Ross/Pickaway counties this year rank up there near the top! If this really is a prehistoric effigy, it's got to be one of the world's largest!
Here are its measurements: snake, nose to tail (southeast direction) is 1,248 feet, top bend to down bend on the east is 704 feet, and down to where the snake tail seems to reach the animal's back, 919 feet. These measurements are possible thanks to Goggle's toolkit that includes a ruler that adjusts to the particual scale you are viewing.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Author of "Iron Age America," a book about the presence of Europeans in North before Columbus "discovered" it. Native of Chillicothe,Ohio. Former newspaper reporter, science columnist, member of the public relations staff of Bell Labs headquaters in New Jersey,and editor of a Washington, D.C. weekly satellite telecommunications newsletter. My profile photo was cropped out of a larger photo that shows me with Stonehenge in the background. I spent a week in England in April 2006 and had a wonderful time there.