Explore my world of science fact, science fiction, fantasy and whatever else I've dug up along the road of life.

Monday, December 1, 2008

Explorer Bill's Bio Bits


I have been an amatuer archaeologist since 1990. I created a web site, "America's Mysterious Furnaces" in 1997 about my investigation of prehistoric pit iron furnaces in Ohio. I also created another site "New Analysis of Time" that I won't try to explain here. If interested, go see.


Growing up in Chillicothe, Ohio, in a county which once was dotted with about 500 prehistoric "Indian" mounds, I first become bitten by the archaeology bug while stilll in high school. In 1949 I was introduced to amatuer archaeologist Arlington H. Mallery, who claimed to have found prehistoric iron furnaces in the countryside to the west and north of my hometown. Mallery's archaeology was big news in the local newspapers in 1949-50

After high school, a tour of duty in the Air Force, and graduating from Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, I helped Mallery to excavate a furnace at a dig site for the first time in 1963. I am a retired professional journalist with many years experience as a newspaper reporter, photographer, science columnist, and once was a member of the public relations staff of Bell Laboratories in Murry Hill, New Jersey. Later, I became the editor of a Washington, D.C. newsletter about satellite telecommunications.

A web site devoted to my archaeological work "America's Mysterious Furnaces" has been on the web since 1997. This title entered into a browser will bring it up for viewing. I designed this site so all its separate sections could be reached from a masthead array of links. Also, every separate section was given a return link at the end of the text. This web site was created using Microsoft's Front Page app, a sophisticated tool compared to what Goggle offers with Blogger.
So I'm still struggling with Blogger. There is a weird disconnect from text or photos. Blogger is clumsy and clunky compared to a great web site app like MS Front Page that I used to create my web sites. Since Goggle's Blogs are free, however, I'll just keep working until I get things right, and expect to have serveral additional blogs on line soon.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Author of "Iron Age America," a book about the presence of Europeans in North before Columbus "discovered" it. Native of Chillicothe,Ohio. Former newspaper reporter, science columnist, member of the public relations staff of Bell Labs headquaters in New Jersey,and editor of a Washington, D.C. weekly satellite telecommunications newsletter. My profile photo was cropped out of a larger photo that shows me with Stonehenge in the background. I spent a week in England in April 2006 and had a wonderful time there.