Explore my world of science fact, science fiction, fantasy and whatever else I've dug up along the road of life.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Explorer Bill's Science Friction: Ohio's "New" Snake Effigy


Ohio's Newly Found Effigies
While looking at some of my prehistoric iron furnace sites, I by chance found two ancient effigies, an animal and a snake, in September 2008. The animal is 990 feet long from nose to ear. The snake is 880 feet from its head to its body as measured along the east-west line. I visited the site north of Kellenberger Road in Ross County last October but nothing is visible there from the road except for higher ground to the north.
I sent a printout of this high altitude view to a National Park Service ranger at nearby Hopewell Culture National Park, Chillicothe, Ohio. He sent this on to other Park Service people and their consensus was that it is merely a natural configuration. I strongly disagree! I believe this is one more of a number of prehistoric serpent mounds in Ohio, including one on the banks of the Little Miami River in the valley below Fort Ancient just found in recent years.
August, 2009: I certainly believe the Kellenberger Road images are both real and prehistoric. These always seem to be located along navigable rivers and creeks. Ohio's streams and creeks were its highways for travelers in the prehistoric past. Also, it is asking too much of coincidence for two such "natural" large scale images to be found one above another and in good north-south, east-west alingment!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Author of "Iron Age America," a book about the presence of Europeans in North before Columbus "discovered" it. Native of Chillicothe,Ohio. Former newspaper reporter, science columnist, member of the public relations staff of Bell Labs headquaters in New Jersey,and editor of a Washington, D.C. weekly satellite telecommunications newsletter. My profile photo was cropped out of a larger photo that shows me with Stonehenge in the background. I spent a week in England in April 2006 and had a wonderful time there.